Originally created as a garnish for a vegan mango mousse experiment for work (still perfecting that recipe), this brittle stands alone as a delicious vegan dessert. No need for a candy thermometer–just keep a close eye as the caramel cooks.
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 cups cashews, raw or lightly toasted
1. Combine sugar and 1/4 cup water in a heavy bottomed pot.
2. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and allow the sugar to take on a caramel color. Do not stir or shake the pan while the sugar cooks.
3. Toast the cashews, if desired, and then spread out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
4. Once caramel reaches desired color, quickly stir in the salt and curry powder.
5. Pour the sugar mixture evenly over the cashews.
6. Cool to room temperature, and then break apart with your hands.
Store in an airtight container for, I dunno, a while.