Okay so, the wings aren’t healthy. BUT, it was the night of the Fantasy Football Draft, so the boys obviously deserved to treat themselves, what with all the strategy and mouse-clicks.
1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed
kosher salt and black pepper
3/4 pound green beans
1 summer squash, very thinly sliced
1 small bunch mint, rough chop
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Prepare the quinoa according to the package directions, seasoning the water with a bit of salt and pepper. Cool.
2. In boiling salted water, blanch the green beans for 3-5 minutes, or until crisp tender. Drain and run under cold water. Cut in half on a bias.
3. Combine the quinoa, green beans, squash ribbons, mint, lemon juice and olive oil.
4. Gently toss to combine and adjust seasoning to taste.
4 1/2 cups cooked red quinoa (1 1/2 cups uncooked; can use a blend of red and white quinoa)
Kosher salt and black pepper
3 hearts of romaine
2 tsp olive oil
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups corn kernels
1 shallot, thinly sliced
Juice of 2 limes
1. Preheat a grill pan over high heat.
2. Cut the romaine hearts in half lengthwise, keeping the end intact to hold the leaves together. Brush with 1 tsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Place the romaine on the grill and cook until nice grill marks are achieved. Remove and cool.
4. Roughly chop the romaine and add to the cooked quinoa.
5. Add the remaining ingredients and the remaining 1 tsp of olive oil and stir to combine (do not over stir because it will make the quinoa gummy).
Future considerations: cumin, fresh herb?