I must admit, I had never heard of this scramble until I read the 150th issue of Saveur, which highlighted 150 classic recipes. After whipping it up for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, I realize why it should be a mainstay in all homes.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, small dice
kosher salt and black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound lean ground beef (I used 94/6, but aim for at least 90/10)
8 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
Sourdough bread, for serving
1. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic to the pan and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
4. Add beef to the pan and cook until it is no longer pink; break apart the meat with the back of a spoon to bite-size pieces or smaller.
5. Stir in the spinach and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
6. Whisk the eggs and then pour into the pan, stirring until cooked through and moisture evaporates.
7. Serve with sliced or torn sourdough bread.