This is mostly a vegetable broth, since the chicken is cooked and then removed, to be used in the next recipe.
2 chicken breasts (with rib meat, skin-on, bone-in)
1 onion, halved, then each half cut into 3 wedges (root end intact)
4 stalks celery
3 large cloves garlic
1 3-inch knob ginger
1 small bunch fresh cilantro
Zest of 1 lime (large strips)
2 bay leaves
8 whole peppercorns
1. Combine all ingredients in a stock pot and cover with cold water.
2. Bring to just under a boil, reduce to a low simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken breasts are cooked through.
3. Remove the chicken breasts and discard the skin. Remove the bones and add back to the pot.
4. Continue to cook for another 2 hours, skimming often.
5. Strain and refrigerate. Skim off any fat that coagulates on the surface before use.
Notes: add lemongrass. More ginger, more garlic, maybe more cilantro, maybe more lime. MORE. Fairly mild but yummy flavor.