We all know about pickled red onions. It’s nothing new. But they’re so profound and make such an impact in any dish they garnish that they deserve their own post. (My apologies for the lack of pickled red onions in the photo. I…ate them.)
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
kosher salt, optional
1. Combine the ingredients and stir.
2. Allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 week.
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, medium dice
1 red bell pepper, medium dice
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
cayenne pepper, to taste
1 can black beans, drained but not rinsed
kosher salt and black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
2. Saute the onion and bell pepper in the pan, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
4. Add the cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper to the pan; stir and cook for 1 minute longer.
5. In go the black beans. Stir and cook for about 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
6. Mash half the beans with the back of a wooden spoon, a potato masher, or an immersion blender.
7. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
This condiment can be used the way refried beans are. Check back soon and I’ll show you what I did with them.