(I wrote this three months ago and, for some reason, never posted…)
This week, I had a few girlfriends over to watch the finale of The Bachelor. Stop laughing! Okay, so we don’t take it seriously (but we kind of do), and it’s really just an excuse to eat and drink and gossip. Being a good hostess, I made my bed (something I don’t believe in), tidied up the apartment, did the dishes, and made a bunch of party snacks that are, at the very least, worth mentioning.
This dip, however, is not only worth mentioning, but it’s worth mentioning again. My friends advised I call it “caramelized onion dip”, because it sounds fancier (i.e., no Lipton soup packet) than “French onion dip”.
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp parsley, chopped
1. Heat the butter and oil in a pan over high heat.
2. Add the sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and dark brown in spots.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add garlic to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes, until the onions start to break down.
5. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
6. Combine onion mixture with the mayonnaise and yogurt.
7. Refrigerate overnight.
8. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve with crudite, crackers or pita chips.