Okay, so, I really wanted to make this a vegan entree. BUT, the slaw just begged for a touch of mayonnaise. BEGGED! Either way, this is a fabulously easy vegetarian dinner that can be made vegan very simply with vegan mayonnaise. All it requires is a bit of prep work the night before.
juice 2 limes
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 10-oz package tofu, drained
1 red onion, finely sliced
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
1 lb carrots, peeled
1 jalapeño, de-seeded and minced
1 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 Tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
1. Whisk together the lime juice, soy sauce and sesame oil.
2. Slice the block of tofu lengthwise into 4 pieces and place into the lime and soy marinade.
3. Cover and marinate overnight.
4. Combine the sliced onions with the vinegar. Stir, cover and marinate overnight.
5. Shred the carrots using a grater or food processor, or julienne using a mandoline.
6. Combine the carrots with the jalapeño, mayonnaise and cilantro.
7. Add a few teaspoons of the lime and soy marinade to the carrot mixture, to taste. Cover and refrigerate.
8. The next day, plate the carrot slaw, top with pickled red onions and a slice of tofu, cut in half on a diagonal.