1 batch dry rub
1 rack spareribs
Barbecue sauce, optional
1. Cover both sides of the spareribs with the dry rub.
2. Massage the rub into the meat.
3. Wrap or place in a covered container and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
4. Bring the rack of ribs to room temperature.
5. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
6. Wrap the ribs in heavy duty aluminum foil. Add about 1 cup of water to the foil and then seal, creating a tent around the meat.
7. Bake for 3-3 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender and falls off the bone when poked.
8. Remove from the oven and turn on the broiler.
9. Optional: Open the foil to expose the meat and slather the top with barbecue sauce. Broil for 5-7 minutes (or more, if desired) to caramelize the sauce and crisp the edges.
10. Remove the ribs and serve with more barbecue sauce, if using.
The ribs, in all their naked glory:
Tomorrow I’ll show you how to make the sweet chipotle bbq sauce.