2 tsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, medium dice
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
11 oz ketchup
1-2 chipotles in adobo, plus 1-2 Tbsp adobo sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp whiskey, bourbon, rye, etc.
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add diced onion to the oil and sweat, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add paprika, cumin and chili powder to the pan and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
5. Add the ketchup, chipotle, brown sugar, Worcestershire and soy sauces, vinegar and whiskey.
6. Cook for 1 hour over low heat, stirring frequently.