cream cheese coffee cake
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup preserves of your choice
Powdered sugar, for garnish
1. In large mixer bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, and margarine or butter with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy.
2. Add half the flour, all of the eggs, milk, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla and salt; beat for about 2 minutes or until well blended.
3. Beat in the remaining flour on low speed until well mixed.
4. Spread evenly in a greased and lightly floured 13x9x2″ pan.
5. Spoon preserves in 8-10 dollops on top of batter. With a knife, swirl preserves into batter to form a marbled effect.
6. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (or until you see the sides start to pull away from the pan).
7. Cool on a wire rack.
8. Before serving, sift powdered sugar on top.
9. Cut into squares and serve warm (ideally) or at room temperature.
Tip from my mother: DON’T FORGET THE MILK!!!
#1, in a large pan, with raspberry preserves:
#2, half batch, in 4 mini loaf pans, with strawberry rhubarb preserves:
That’s great, Jackie!! 🙂 Mini loaves are a great idea for gift giving!
Yeah! Or, ya know, for just me 😉