1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 medium to large red bell peppers, medium rough dice
1 medium onion, medium rough dice
kosher salt and black pepper
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
2. Once oil is hot, add the bell peppers and onion. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently enough to avoid browning.
3. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for another minute.
4. Cover the vegetables with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until 2/3 of the water evaporates.
5. With an immersion blender, puree until smooth.
6. Adjust seasoning and serve with roasted eggplant rollatini.
The sauce packs a surprising amount of flavor for such few ingredients. For this reason, as well as the smooth, luscious texture, it would serve as an excellent red pepper soup. Serve hot or chilled, and garnish with fresh herbs and heavy cream, or extra-virgin olive oil.