1 1/2 cups brown lentils
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise)
1 garlic clove
juice of 1 lemon
for assembly and garnish: whole wheat hamburger buns, sliced tomato, sliced avocado, sprouts, arugula, etc.
1. Sift through lentils for debris or rocks. Combine in a medium pot with a pinch of salt and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer, partially cover the pot and cook until tender, about 25 minutes. Cool.
2. Process oats into a powder using a food processor or spice grinder.
3. Combine lentils and oat powder in a large bowl.
4. Add salt, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper.
5. Mix with your hands until all ingredients are incorporated. Taste for seasoning and adjust to taste.
6. Form patties (this recipe will make about 9-10 large patties) and place on a parchment paper-lined sheet tray.
7. Refrigerate the patties until firm, at least 20 minutes.
8. Combine the mayonnaise with garlic and lemon juice. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
9. Heat oil over medium high heat. Saute the patties until crispy and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each side.
10. Place patties on whole wheat hamburger buns. Serve with sliced tomatoes, sliced avocadoes, sprouts, arugula, or whatever your little heart desires.