3 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, medium dice
1 red bell pepper, medium dice
1 green bell pepper, medium dice
4 large cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup textured vegetable protein
2 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
9 oz beer of your choice (drink the last 3 oz!) (use gluten-free beer to make the recipe gluten-free)
1 28-oz can peeled whole tomatoes
1 15-oz can red kidney beans
1 15-oz can pinto beans
1 4-oz can fire-roasted green chiles
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Saute until soft, about 8 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, soak the textured vegetable protein in hot water. Drain, and then add to the pot along with the paprika, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Saute for 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
3. Crush tomatoes and add to the pot, along with the beans and chiles.
4. Pour in the beer and reduce by half.
5. Crush the tomatoes and add to the pot, along with the beans and chiles.
6. Cover the ingredients with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Pingback: vegan chili: part two | eating in your underwear