1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp canola oil
1 onion, medium dice
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 zucchini, grated
1 pound ground bison
11 corn tortillas
1 bottle enchilada sauce
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 pound extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 pound monterey jack cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Sweat the onion in the oil until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook vegetables, stirring often, for another 10 minutes, or are soft and there is no moisture left in the pan.
4. In another pan, heat 1 tsp oil over medium-high heat. Add bison, season with salt and pepper, and cook just until there is no more pink, about 5 minutes. Break apart the meat with the back of a spoon into small pieces.
5. Place enough corn tortillas in a casserole dish to cover the bottom.
6. Drizzle with 1/3 of the enchilada sauce, and top with 1/3 of the cheese, 1/2 of the zucchini mixture, 1/2 of the bison, and 1/2 of the black beans.
7. Top with another layer of corn tortillas, and then repeat step 6.
8. Top with a final layer of corn tortillas, drizzle with the remaining enchilada sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
9. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbling. Rest for 10 minutes before portioning and serving.
I topped it with a super simple salad of parsley, cilantro, lime juice, and kosher salt.